What is a Lace Frontal?
Just like closures a couple years ago, Lace Frontals have taken over and like most clients you want to know “Is this cute trend right for me”?
1. Frontals are 100% protective if installed with no leave out and no adhesive (adhesive is perfectly fine to use IF you have it professionally installed and removed)
2. Frontals offer versatility, whatever you want YOU CAN have it. Wither it be texture or color with a frontal it’s yours!
3. The open canvas offers flexibility for styling, The possibilities are endless!
4. If you don’t like waiting through the sewing process…Frontals can sometimes nearly cut your time at the salon in half! (Yay for sexy hair super fast )
5. If completely sewn in without an elastic band, after 2 months, you can add an elastic band to the entire install and rock your frontal even longer! (Now look at you saving money ?)
1. Frontals are delicate and call for a great attention to detail, so please keep in mind that not everyone will know how to install them. They are a NEW craze (they became more popular in the last year) so it is something most stylist are learning by trial and error.
2. FRONTALS ARE NOT UNIVERSAL! Not everyone’s head shape will be appealing with this install. A major part of how it will look depends on the shape of your forehead because over time frontal lace can start rolling up at the lairline. 3. YOUR HAIR LINE MATTERS ! The smaller your forehead is the more “realistic” your install will look. Why you ask? With a smaller forehead you have to leave an amount of your own hair out which gives it less of a “wig look”.
4. Frontals are not one size fits all. It is possible that with your hair (texture, length and density ) to have unrealistic expectations as your install will NEVER look like someone else’s.
5. FRONTALS ARE HIGH MAINTENANCE- your install will look great because your Stylist took a LOT of time to install and customize it to fit you. If you are not good with basic upkeep a frontal may not be for you as they require a lot of attention. I not feel bad if you don’t stylist go to school to learn techniques beyond the everyday hair style. If you do not know the techniques used to lay lay your edges or even curl your hair, a frontal may not be for you. They require a lot of attention daily it is not a “wash and go” kind of style.
6. Frontals, like lace and silk closures, are NOT YOUR REAL SCALP! Excessive scratching on the canvas will cause bald spots on the base of your frontal thus damaging it for future installs.
7. FRONTALS call for teamwork. During your install you have to hold the unit down for your stylist by applying tension to both ends of the frontal. If you’re not hands on you might find this somewhat annoying.
1. Your skin complexion matters ! Like foundation and all other skin specific products frontals (like silk closures) are not made with African Americans in mind therefore lace on the unit more often than not, will not match your skin tone. The darker you are the less likely it is to match. A way to refute this issue is for your stylist TINT THE LACE to match your color. ( but keep in mind over time it will fade this bringing us back to the high maintenance portion of FRONTALS)
2. If your Stylist uses adhesive and is still in the learning phase of installing Frontals, you could be the victim of glue flaking, being too shiny, or VISIBLE which is not appealing especially if you want it to look natural.
3. DEPENDING on your Stylists expertise in Frontals, the glue may not last even as little as 2weeks. Not only does getting your hair done often take a great amount of time, it is costly. Please consider that you will more than likely need your hair done every two weeks in order for your frontal to continue looking natural and flush with your skin.
Now I know I have just given you a mouth full and you’re probably asking yourself “How will I know if this is right for me”? So, here’s how.
Have a consultation with your stylist prior to install so that you can have a better understand on what YOUR install will look like (remember these are not one size fits all). Give your unit to your stylist in advance for customization ahead of the install. This will allow for them to check the frontal in reference to your hair line, and shape of your forehead. With this you will have an overview of what the style will look like on you specifically and the best part of a consultation, YOU HAVE TIME TO CHANGE YOUR MIND. Don’t worry as a stylist we don’t get offended when you decided something does not work for you. We want you to leave our chair happy and feelings like a new you.
Hope this helps.
View one of my techniques here:
Ask me anything !